Thursday 29 November 2012

Why, thank you Sir David!


This is the Springtail. I was watching the amazing television series ‘Life in the Undergrowth’ (of which I have already mentioned the book that accompanies the series) by Sir David Attenborough and the BBC. He was doing a segment about a very fancy bug called a Springtail. I’ll post a link below so you can watch it for yourself (The Eiffel Tower!) I feel if I can let the man himself tell you, why pass up that opportunity.

Anyway, I was very inspired by this tiny creature and I decided to make a bug in honour of him. The real thing walks around on little legs but for my version I decided to dispense with them and just give him a spiral spring to hop around on instead.




I gave him a small head, simple antennae, black eyes and a dome shaped body like the insect in the documentary. I thought he was so cute and he had adapted to survive in such brilliant ways that it was only right that my Springtail should look somewhat like his living breathing counterpart.

I love when inspiration strikes like this. You can see something or hear something and it just makes you want to make.




I know my version is much showier than the real one. In thinking about it now, I guess it’s a little deity I can offer up to the Gods of the Springtail. Carry on you little wonders, I salute thee!

No comments:

Post a Comment