Friday 14 December 2012

Hmmm Knitting


I first learned to knit in primary school. Probably my most memorable attempt was a green woolly jelly baby. I wasn’t very good at it in school, I remember that everything was too tight or too loose and I could never remember how to cast off properly.


I was a lapsed knitter in secondary school; I had fallen too deeply in love with my tonal drawings. I rediscovered it though as I went through college. The second course I attended was called Fibre Art. It was a blend between Fine Art techniques like drawing, painting, print-making and photography with Textile Art techniques like embroidery, felt-making and printed textiles.

I knitted cocoons as part of my insect project. I mentioned these before in conjunction with the wasps nest I showed you the drawing of. As I said then I will have photographs to show you eventually (I’m really making you hang in there for those ones)


Anyway I got back in the way of knitting and I have used it time and time again as a way to express my creativity. I don’t want to get bogged down in discussing techniques. I started back to knitting in a basic way. I know a couple of different kinds of stitches and can now follow a fairly complicated pattern but I wouldn’t call myself an accomplished knitter. I’m not a craftsperson in that regard. I use knitting and wool, like I use drawing and pencils or painting and paint. It’s a technique and material that I use to express an idea.

I think craftspeople master a skill or craft by exploring all the different aspects of it. I think the joy is in the making and they create great works of beauty. For me, communicating an idea is more important than producing the most perfect piece of hand-knitted fabric.


This here is Glee Fullee Flappin. She was knit with love and joy for the person she was made for. She is one of the earliest Snugs I made along with Gregarious. I think my designs got more cohesive the more I made but I always have great affection for the first borns. They hold the original idea and like the first wire Fat Bee, they remind me that everything has to start from somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment